Friday, July 18, 2008

Summertime Lunches







I think I've already mentioned just how much I love tomatoes and basil. They make summer food absolutely fabulous. Eggplant is a close second for favorite vegetable, but it's not quite eggplant season in Michigan, so I haven't had a chance yet to blog about its virtues.




Like most teenagers, I tend to sleep in for a quite a while during the summers, so late breakfasts and light lunches become the norm. The past two weeks have been good ones for food, but the following two dishes are two of the highlights.



First, is my absolute favorite salad of all time, the Italian caprese salad, simple but delicious. These lovely stacks of tomato, fresh mozzarella and ribbons of basil (my basil! My plants are all grown up!), drizzled with balsamic vinegar and a little touch of olive oil are perfect for a late lunch on the deck.



On days when I'm in the mood for a bit more, I like to transfer my caprese salad to toasted slices of baguette, with a little more olive oil and balsamic. On this particular day, I also topped the baguette slices with tomatoes and marinated artichoke hearts, plus more balsamic vinegar. Those ones would have been better, actually, with a bit more balsamic and perhaps some lemon, but were still delicious.

No comments: